Monday, September 24, 2007

Concert T-Shirt Confounds Man




Earl Whittaker, 35, is a rock music fan with an impeccable memory. Which is all the more reason he's perplexed by a concert t-shirt from 1987 that's been in his closet since he was a teenager, growing up in Oak Grove, a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The threadbare, three quarter-inch sleeve shirt is typical of those worn by concert-goers for years; the band's name, "Dio," emblazoned on the front, is slightly faded.
But one tour date on back clearly states Auborn Palace, Pittsburgh, PA August 20, a show Whittaker believes he attended, yet, he can't recall ever seeing the band.
"I was a huge [Black] Sabbath and Dio fan back then," he says excitedly. "I'm certain I was at this show. I'll bet it was awesome, but I can't for the life remember a single thing about it."
Whittaker reveals that as a teenager he did his fair share of drugs, such as marijuana and alcohol, which may have contributed to his memory loss. That, and the passage of time.
"I was there," Whittaker says, with a combination of certainty and confusion. "But why can't I remember it?"

2 comments:

General Ursus said...

I think if you'd never left Akron you'd be that guy on the far left.

Ray said...

If I'd never left Akron and hadn't killed myself, I would definitely be that guy on the left.