Saturday, November 1, 2008

Autumnal Ruminations

Autumn is in full swing finally, and temperatures have begun to fall. We had our first freeze this week on Tuesday. Lethargy not-with-standing, this is my favorite time of year. My main compulsion during this season is to brew a pot of tea, sit in my recliner next to the fireplace (with fire of course), wrap up in a blanket, smoke my pipe and read a good book. On the weekends when I don’t have to get up in the morning I might substitute tea with a bottle of wine or porter. The warming effect of alcohol, along with its penchant for inducing nostalgia, is ideal for brisk Fall evenings.

Outside howling winds rush through the trees, branches clack together, a distant rifle shot from the farm down the road – all enhance the cocoon-like coziness.

2 comments:

Dennis said...

You're description really puts me in the fall mood. Are you sure the rifle shot wasn't just someone poaching deer in the woods behind you're place?

General Ursus said...

Nah, too far off. I suspect it was Greg Glidewell (Smith Bros Hardware) who owns a lot of property just over yonder.