Sunday, August 19, 2007

Weston - gain serious brownie points

The Mrs. and I visited the sleepy town of Weston, MO this weekend. And even at the risk of being called a sissy-boy, I had a great time. We stayed at a B&B called the Weston Bed & Breakfast, which was ran by a nice couple who had homemade cookies waiting for us in our room, prepared an excellent three course breakfast, and faciliated a lively conversation with the two other couples who shared the breafast table with us. I was admittedly a little nervous about staying at a B&B, I'm not normally one who likes doilys and grandma types hovering over me all the time, but this was really a nice experience. However, I was upset that Larry and his brothers Darryl didn't stop by.

For dinner last night we ate a great little house converted to a restaurant called The Vineyards. The food and service was outstanding, and the full meal took almost 3 hours yet we didn't mind the slow pace at all - it was part of the dining experience.

Today we did some shopping in the historic downtown of Weston. It's filled with all kinds of stores, primarily antiques, but is also home to things like the McCormick's Country Store, and the Old Geezer's Mantiques. My best finds were an antique wood console GE radio that stands about 42" tall, and an antique US Army large steel trunk which I stole for only $5. (Actually the old man selling it kept commenting on how pretty my wife was - so I think that had something to do with the price.)

For lunch we went to O'Malley's. This underground Irish pub and resturaunt had great food and tons of character. Even though we were there for lunch, there was live music and a rowdy crowd. It's definetly a place worth going back to.

All in all, I give two thumbs up for Weston, MO.

2 comments:

General Ursus said...

I was going to ask if the Old Geezer hit on your wife. Last time I was in there I thought he was going to ask if he could have a go with my girlfriend at the time.

I think the Canteen crew should take a field trip to O'Malley's. That's the best bar ever.

Ray said...

The Gen is right: O'Malley's is the best bar around, a real treasure. I love that place.