Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Padron 1964 Anniversary...or the 1926 Serie


Padron 1964 Anniversary
Originally uploaded by v2or
Today on my way to work I reflected a bit on my love affair with tobacco over the years. It's not that I'm proud of my addiction, just that I'd never taken the time to actually admit to myself that I love tobacco - in all its forms. Pictured here is my latest infatuation or preferred conduit for nicotine - the Padron 1964 Anniversary Series...or the 1926 Serie - any size.

I'm not necessarily gifted with a golden palate (although I did win a whiskey tasting/guessing contest in Ireland several years ago), but when something is perfect I think everyone knows it when they taste or see it. I'll skip over all the pretentious talk about the various subtleties connoisseurs speak of when critiquing a particular cigar and briefly mention a few things that any layperson might note when smoking a Padron 1926 or 1964.

1. The aroma of the smoke tastes similar to the way the tobacco smells. Not that all good cigars should be like this, just that I find this unique to Padrons. If you like the sent of fine tobacco, and want to taste it in the smoke. Have a Padron 1926/64.

2. While smoking this cigar I didn't experience much acridity, even down to the last two inches or so. This is pretty rare in my cigar smoking experience.

3. The ash is always white and solid. No need to use an ashtray till at least an inch and a half.

4. The construction is simultaneously solid and light, which is a odd combination to me. Regardless, it always has an easy draw.

Well, I said I'd be brief so I'll wrap it up. The above are four things that I love about both the Padron 1926 Serie or the 1964 Anniversary. If you've got the cash I recommend buying the Maduro Cigar Sampler which comes with eight cigars in all sizes and shapes - including a Padron 4000 and a 6000 Series. I spent over $120 at a cigar shop w/ tax. You can find it cheaper online at the Tobacco Locker for $105.

4 comments:

Ray said...

Great post. Very informative. I'd like to see one about the area cigar bars and/or tobacco stores.

(A post about 70's-era Playboy would be nice as well.)

General Ursus said...

Sure thing. Maybe you could accompany me when I do my research...maybe when the Mrs. is out of town.

Dennis said...

Must be nice to have the discretionary funds available to purchase such luxuries.
I've got a box of Grenadiers waiting for you next time you're over. These are produced by Antonio y Cleopatara, having originated in Cuba in 1888.

General Ursus said...

Are they the ones w/ the green wrapper?