Sunday, April 13, 2008

26.2 Miles and a Free T-Shirt


A friend of mine recently completed an ultra-marathon of over 40 miles. It was the Brew-to-Brew run that you may be familiar with, but he did it by himself rather than as part of a relay. Crazy?...yeah, but still pretty impressive.

Between that feat, and the fact that my wife is training for a regular marathon, I was inspired to give it a whirl too. (the regular 26.2 mile marathon - not the ultra) I have toyed with the idea for several years now, but always came up with reasons not to do it. The farthest I have previously run is a 1/2 marathon over a year ago, so it will take quite a bit of training - but I think I'm finally up to it.

With my goal made known to others, I am much less likely to quit before finishing the marathon. As a thought only in my head, it's far too easy to push aside and forget about as soon as the "fun" of training wears off. Now I have to live up to what I have said.......


If anyone is interested in joining me, the KC Marathon isn't until October 18th - still plenty of time for even the non-runner to be ready, and an opportunity to check another box off the "things to do" list.

4 comments:

General Ursus said...

Maybe. Historically, I haven't been good at either distance or speed. Although, lately, I've been gaining confidence. It's been three weeks now since I started running and working out and I'm already up to three miles...which isn't that incredible, but it is for me. Tomorrow I'm going to try for 3 1/2 miles. My goal is five miles (on the long day)and then I'll begin to work on time.

Dennis said...

Great. I'll take that as a yes. Hospital Hill is coming up soon and will be a nice short term goal to keep us motivated.

General Ursus said...

Oh? When is NY?

Dennis said...

Next year.