Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mother of Four Joins the Army

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/02/rebecca-johnston-mother-o_n_274401.html

Rebecca, featured in this story, is one of Mendy's clients. In fact, she came to Mendy to help her get ready for bootcamp. She has spent the past several Wednesday mornings training at our house at 5:30 am. In addition, my oldest son and one of her kids play on the same football team.
Although my political views vary quite a bit from hers, I have a lot of respect for what she is trying to do. I spent some time scrolling through the comments on her story, and am saddened by some of the crap that people are saying, both about her -they obviously don't understand her story - and about our country. The derrogatory comments and anti-American sentiment amazes me.

Semper Fi,
Sarge

2 comments:

General Ursus said...

She can afford a personal trainer but has to join the Army to provide for her children because she can't make ends meet? Hmmm.

Dennis said...

The biggest irony in this story is that 1 year ago, she was featured in one of the Obamercials that aired during his campaign. (I was present for part of the filming that occurred during our kids football practice) It was here that she, and others, expressed some much "hope and change" for better times to come at the hands of a new Obama administration, that troops would be brought home, that the job market would improve, that we would be able to better afford for life's necessities and provide for our families.
How ironic that she got her political wish, but is now shipping off to the army.
All that said, I have learned this girl's personal story, while I respect what she is now trying to do, she is in this position on her own accord - and I think she would admit to that as well.