Sunday, May 18, 2008

High Plains Distillery In Atchison

Wednesday of last week I attended a "Hail and Farewell" dinner organized by my office in Weston at O'Malley's. Prior to heading inside several of us sat outside passing time with beers and conversation. Dr. King, one of the Staff Ride instructors, mentioned a Kansas vodka that he, a self-proclaimed vodka connoisseur, touted as "quite good." Although I only half heard him talking (Dr. Wright and I were busy trying to one-up each other with 70s punk trivia) I did vaguely remember him mentioning a local distillery that produced a vodka by the name of "Most Wanted."

Friday, after my bike-ride, I stopped by the liquor store for some beer. While browsing I decided to take a gander at the prices of scotch. Seeing that my favorite scotch was out of stock I moseyed over to the bourbon section and noticed some Most Wanted Kansas Whiskey. Curious, and remembering the name, I picked up a bottle. In short, it's smooth and tastes like apples. For just shy of $20, and the fact that I'm buying local, I'm sold on the stuff.

Check out their site. It features some inspirational entrepreneurial stories; the New York Times article is particularly interesting.

No comments: