Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Bachelorhood Complete


...well, almost. It's been a little over a month now since the lady friend and I parted ways, so the peculiar behavior of bachelorhood is beginning to come back to me: things like making your own schedule, taking risks, and developing new/old habits. With all the extra cash and energy not spent on trying to keep one step ahead of the next conflict, I decided to stop by Diebel's Sportsman's Gallery on my way home from work yesterday and pick up a pipe.

I've owned a pipe before back when I was freshman in college, until I lost it and found it several months later broken and thrown behind my bed. Jones, do you know anything about that? Anyway, this time, instead of picking out a $25 random pipe out of the basket, I actually decided to do some research, chat up the salesperson, and find a hand-crafted pipe located in the display case. In other words, I was primed and ready to hear all the reasons why I should spend the extra dough on a good pipe.

Without much arm-twisting and about 45 minutes later, I walked out of Diebel's with an Italian-made Savinelli Hercules series. So far so good. It's taking some getting used to but overall it's been a pleasurable experience. And besides, I figure if I'm going to write for a blog called "The Meerschaum Canteen", meerschaum being a mineral that pipes are carved from, I at least should have a pipe myself.

No comments: